Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Studying Japanese


I am studying Japanese language for two reasons: interest in Japan as another Asian country (China being the first), and as a way to further my studies of Chinese history.  China and Japan have a very long history, and many studies have been done in Japan about Chinese history.

I actually took a Japanese class a number of years ago, but was unable at that time to continue Japanese language studies.  So I am excited to finally get back to studying Japanese.  Because I have some previous experience with Japanese language, I have not had much difficulty thus far.  Probably what I am struggling with most is fine-tuning my handwriting; I am very used to writing characters from my years studying Chinese and so sometimes it is hard for me to write a few of the hiragana correctly (for example, I frequently want to write like the left hand side of the Chinese character).

3 comments:

  1. こんばんわ、トマスさん!

    I'm having much of the same trouble, haha :)

    I have never seen かぶき (although I like that you've taught it to me as a 生詞!), although I would certainly like to. I have done a bit of reading about it, although those readings have mostly cast it in the role of "something that isn't Western theater." I am, however, intrigued by its potential comparisons with various forms of Chinese theater, and think that this is a topic quite worth pursuing.

    じゃまたあした!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how those who studied Chinese previous to Japanense are all having similar problems! I am on the same boat, トマスさん =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @カーンさん: And we're starting to learn かたかな next week, so there'll be new difficulties. Like not miswriting セ (or ヒ for that matter) as 七 and not truncating ネ (essentially writing as the radical of 社).
    On the positive side, coming from a Chinese background, I find かたかな slightly easier to write than ひらがな (it's less curvy than ひらがな); it's just hard to remember because it's not used as often.

    ReplyDelete